Creative Commons License
Near-Hermit Chronicles by Jessica Turley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Monday, July 23, 2012

I like to think I'm part cat.

Let's face it, cats are adorable.  It doesn't matter if you prefer dogs because that's not the point. Dogs are cute too, but we're not talking about them.  This post is about cats and what I learned from my cat, Purdy while she was raising me since I was about three.

First off, cats are all different. So are people and literally every other creature that exists on this planet. All I mean is the things I learned from Purdy may not apply to other cats.

Purdy was very vocal (being a tortoise-shell, this was hardly surprising) and her purring sounded just like a motorboat. And she was ALWAYS purring.

Now it would seem that we named her Purdy because of her constant loud purring. Really though, I tried to name her Perdita (yes after the mother dalmatian from 101 Dalmatians) but I was too young to say the name correctly.  What I inferred from this small part of her life was that people will grow into their names. I know that's just ridiculous, but now I can't think of it any other way. And all future cats I adopt will have their name based on a particular trait that I hope they develop.

Other things that Purdy taught me include how to purr and hiss.  It seems that because I was so young when I received her as a pet, she was able to (indirectly) teach me how to imitate her sounds. I can meow, purr, and hiss just like a cat. But, remember that I said all cats are different? The only cat I can ever imitate will be Purdy. I sound just like her because she was the one I learned from. It's sort of like when two teachers are teaching their classes ways to do the same thing differently. The students from each class will only understand how to do 'whatever' in the way they were taught.

Possibly the most awesome thing Purdy ever taught me was how to be a ninja. I was always paying close attention to her, so it was no surprise that I saw how she moved when she was about to pounce. I learned from her how to perform quick actions in a way that prevented someone from even knowing I was about to do anything at all.

So why even post any of this?  Well, I miss Purdy a lot.

But the main point of this post is that "If you want your child to develop the traits of any particular animal, you must present this animal to them at an incredibly young age. Then when they get older, they'll be SO FUCKING COOL."


That's me and Purdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment